Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Knock 'em out the box, Bonds.











Being that I'm living amongst the MLB All-Star hysteria (I can literally see the stadium as I type this), I think it's only appropriate to address the rap-relevancy of one of America's most famous and scandalously embroiled drug users: Barry Bonds. If you are one of the few people on earth that remains steadfastly in denial (or blissfully ignorant) of his habitual steroid use, perhaps this chronological series of baseball cards will sway you.

Barry threw a party by my house in lieu of competing in the Home Run Derby yesterday. Super-club Roe, on Folsom, was packed to capacity with San Francisco a-listers. It was co-hosted by Bonds' good friend, none other than Def Jam President Jay-Z.

Unless you live in Lithuania or some shit, you are aware by now that Bonds is chasing Hank Aaron's home run record and is being lambasted for his use of steroids. Nearly every artist ingests some sort of performance-enhancing inebriant to tap into their creative well, though. It just so happens Barry's creations garner him millions of dollars and veritable immortality in the annals of sports history, but who are we to judge his art? As a San Franciscan, I fully endorse his efforts, as does Fillmore rapper San Quinn, who undoubtedly draws the same parallels.

San Quinn- Knock It Out (Barry Bonds)

I never saw that one coming. I do anticipate a rap album (or at least a cameo) by Barry in the next year, though. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Mark my words.

1 comment:

Rev. Dr. DVDN said...

I'd like to see Snoop Dogg, Michael Vick and Barry Bonds all fight it out in a pit full of pitbulls on steroids ...